Skip navigation
Margin Notes

What are you earning? Salaries at Canadian universities

Annual report from Statistics Canada is always an interesting read – i.e., I wonder what my colleagues at other institutions are getting paid?


The annual (although preliminary) report on the salaries and salary scales of full-time teaching staff at Canadian universities for 2008-09 was released this morning by Statistics Canada. The report does not record the change in salaries over time, but rather presents a snapshot of current earnings as of October 1 of last year. It is always an interesting document to peruse – i.e., I wonder what my colleagues at other institutions are earning?

The data are drawn from the University and College Academic Staff Survey (UCASS), conducted since 1946.


This report presents information on the salaries of full-time teaching staff at 27 Canadian universities – none from Quebec, for some reason – along with information on salary scales for the 2008-2009 academic year.

So, for example, moving East to West and picking institutions at random: a lecturer at Memorial University can expect to earn from $51,400 to $59,800; an assistant professor at Trent University, $74,700 to $105,900; an associate professor at University of Manitoba, $69,500 to $103,200; and a full professor at Simon Fraser University, a minimum of $91,000 and no maximum. (While some universities impose a maximum to the salary range for each rank, others have an open-ended scale).

Go ahead, take a look at the report. You know you’re interested …

Léo Charbonneau
Léo Charbonneau is a former editor of University Affairs.
Post a comment
University Affairs moderates all comments according to the following guidelines. If approved, comments generally appear within one business day. We may republish particularly insightful remarks in our print edition or elsewhere.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  1. Helen Mountfort / June 4, 2017 at 11:41

    What is the current rate of pay?